One of the common misconceptions about facelift is that repeat procedures are required to keep up the results. In reality, an expertly performed facelift with Virginia Beach plastic surgeon Kevin Bounds can provide attractive, natural-looking results that last for many years without any “touch-ups.” Read on for more information about how long facelift results typically last.
The Lifespan of a Facelift
Given the amount of time and money that you invest into your facelift, it is understandable that you want lasting improvement. Luckily, you can look forward to maintaining your rejuvenated appearance for quite a few years after surgery. Most patients enjoy their results for seven to 10 years or longer.
Exactly how long your facelift results last depends on your genetics, skin type, the age at which you undergo facelift and the type of facelift you have. (In general, the results of full or traditional facelift last longer than those of mini facelift.)
But aging happens as your skin continues to age and relax, you will still look younger than you did if you did not undergo a facelift. Do not expect to suddenly wake up one day years after your facelift and look as though you never had the procedure. As Dr. Bounds likes to tell his patients who are having a facelift, if you had a twin sister who did not have a facelift, you will always look younger than she does.
With this in mind, the things you do in the months and years following your facelift can affect how long your results last.
Maximize Your Facelift Results
To maintain your results for as long as possible, Dr. Bounds recommends you do the following:
- Choose your facelift surgeon wisely. The experience and skill of your plastic surgeon influences the longevity of your results.
- Follow all of your aftercare instructions. This increases the chances of a smooth recovery and good scars.
- Do not smoke or drink heavily. Smoking and drinking excessive amounts of alcohol can accelerate the natural aging process.
- Eat a healthy diet and stay hydrated. Beautiful skin starts from the inside out.
- Maintain your weight. Fluctuating in weight can cause your skin to stretch out and look saggy.
- Protect yourself from the sun. Prolonged sun exposure speeds up the natural aging process.
- Explore non-surgical treatment options. Botox or filler injections, laser skin resurfacing and chemical peels are a great complement to facelift and can help maximize the beauty of your skin.
Contact Dr. Kevin Bounds
If you have any questions about the facelift procedure or expected results, Dr. Bounds is happy to help. To get in touch with him, please contact our practice today.