Your breasts are in a state of constant change. Your menstrual cycle, ovulation, pregnancy, breastfeeding, menopause and the natural aging process can alter your breasts’ size, shape and position on your chest. As you age, your tissues produce less collagen, elastin and hyaluronic acid, which leads to loose, sagging, thin skin. These breast changes cause many women to lose a sense of their youthful femininity, and they may struggle with the sagging appearance of their breasts.
Kevin B. Bounds is a board-certified plastic surgeon who has helped countless women restore a perky bust with breast lift.
You may be a good candidate for this procedure if you meet these criteria:
- You are in good physical health and have reached and maintain a stable weight.
- You are a nonsmoker or committed to giving up the habit for as long as necessary while you heal after a breast lift.
- You feel your breasts have lost shape and volume or sag lower on your chest.
- Your breasts have taken on an elongated contour or may be flatter or pendulous.
- Your nipples fall beneath the level of the inframammary fold (breast crease) when you’re not wearing a bra and may point downward instead of outward.
- You have stretched breast skin and enlarged areolas (the pigmented skin around your nipples).
- One of your breasts is more misshapen or hangs lower than the other breast.
You can perform the “Pencil Test” at home to help you identify if a breast lift is a good option for you. Take a pencil and place it in the crease under one of your breasts. Release your breast tissue and then let go of the pencil. If the pencil stays in place, you likely have some breast ptosis (drooping) that breast lift can correct. However, the only way to know if you are a candidate for this breast surgery is to meet with our plastic surgeon in Virginia Beach.
Types of Breast Lifts
Your breast lift is customized to address the amount of breast sagging, and the type of breast lift will depend on several factors. Some women wish to have breast augmentation with breast implants at the same time as a breast lift. Mild breast sagging may be addressed with breast augmentation or a donut breast lift (peri-areolar breast lift), which utilizes two circular incisions around the areolas that form the shape of a donut.
The lollipop breast lift (vertical breast lift) may be used for moderate breast ptosis. This technique involves circular incisions around the areolas and a vertical line down to the breast crease, creating a lollipop appearance. The anchor breast lift is used for severe breast sagging and requires a third incision in the breast crease, forming the shape of an anchor or inverted “T.” The nipples and areolas are repositioned in a natural-looking, youthful placement and excess skin tissue is removed to accommodate the loss of elasticity. The breast tissue is reshaped and lifted for a firmer, perkier breast contour.
Schedule Your Breast Lift Consultation in Virginia Beach
If you’re interested in a breast lift, contact Dr. Bounds at Plastic Surgery of Virginia Beach to discuss your candidacy. Schedule your consultation by calling (757) 496-7373 or filling out our online contact form.